The Work of Charity in Merano
The "Seraphic Work of Charity" was founded in Koblenz in 1889 by the Bavarian Capuchin P. Cyprian Fröhlich. In South Tyrol, the "Johanneum" in Tirolo near Merano was opened as a Seraphic Work of Charity in 1911.
Today's Seraphic Work of Charity has been situated in Merano in Via Goethe since 7 April 1950. The Capuchin province of Bressanone bought more ground and generously invested into staff and the institution as a whole, which grew enormously thanks to the help of sponsors, the financial support of the provincial government and many donators. Today, it is a lively centre that is able to alleviate social needs and to offer help.
The whole patrimony was given to the Work of Charity by the Capuchin province of Bressanone on 22 December 2003; Dr. Hermann Steiner is president of the board, whereas Dr. Santin Alexander has been director of the Work of Charity and thus responsible for the operational part since 1 January 2020.